- To create a new outline, choose "File" => "New" (Ctrl+N) from the main menu. This will create and open a new outline and make a page tab for it. The first thing you should do is save it ("File" => "Save" or Ctrl+S) with an appropriate name. The file name is what appears on the page tab.
- To open an existing outline, use "File" => "Open" (Ctrl+O) from the main menu. If the file is already open, it cannot be opened a second time. Instead the page tab of the open file will be selected. Note: All Redhaven Outline files have "rrOutline" as their file extension.
- To add new nodes, press "Shift+Ctrl+Enter." This will add a new child node and position the cursor in the Node Title field so that the node text can be entered. "Ctrl+Enter" will create a new node just below the selected node but on the same level, as its sibling and not its child. NOTE: The selected node must NOT be the top (or root) node. That node is special; it cannot be given more nodes than the one it already has.
- To reorder existing nodes, select the node, press and hold down the Ctrl key, then press any of the arrow keys. The up and down keys move the node without changing its parent. The left and right arrows move it up a level or down a level. Nodes can be moved with the mouse in two ways. To move a node WITHOUT changing its parent, simply drag and drop it. To move a node to a new parent, press and hold down the Ctrl key, then drag the node and drop it on the its new parent. Note: The top node is special; it cannot receive any new nodes.
- To delete a node, select the node and press Ctrl+Del. You will be asked to confirm your request to delete the selected node. Warning: Once a node is deleted, it and its children are gone! Use this command with care.