- The node title field is used to hold and edit the text that is used in the outline. That text cannot be edited directly on the outline; it must be edited in this field. As mentioned above, a pipe character "|" can be used to make a division in the node text. All the text that falls before the pipe is normal style and all that falls after it is bold.
- The summary field is a memo field that is designed to hold a summary of the contents of the node. It can hold anything, but it should not be used to hold lots of text as only a few lines can be visible at one time. This field has one special feature - if popup hints are enabled for the outline, hovering the mouse over a node will allow the text of this field to appear as a popup. (Press F8 to toggle this feature on or off.) This enables the user to see a summary of the node without actually selecting the node.
- The key words field should be used to contain indexing information for the node. The field has no special functionality so it can be used to contain any text, but it is limited to one line. The search feature normally searches all the fields, not just this one but it can be made to search only a particular field.
- The reference field is used to hold references to external files or locations. Pressing the "Reference:" button makes the field act as a shortcut. If it is a location, such as a path on the local drive, a path on a network drive, or a web address, it opens that location. If it is a file, it attempts to open the file.
- The notes field is a rich-edit field than can be used for extensive formatted notes. A menu bar above the Node Title field can be used to format the text of the notes field.