- To collapse or expand the nodes, double-click on the node or click on the arrow image at the front of the node. You can also select the node, then press the left or right arrow key.
- To completely collapse or expand all the children of a node, select the node and press Ctrl+PageUp (to collapse it) or Ctrl+PageDown (to expand it). This is very useful.
- To add colors to a node, select the node and press Ctrl+<one of the function keys>. Choosing "Colors" on the main menu will show the colors for the different function keys. Pressing the same key twice will given the same color to the selected node and all its child nodes. Pressing it a third time will reset the node color back to "default."
- To make the node text bold, add a pipe "|" in the node text. Everything after the pipe will be bold. Everything before it will be normal. Once the style has been changed to bold, it will remain bold to the end of the node text. When the pipe is the first character position, all of the node text is bold. Note: If you want to show a pipe, just put two pipes together. It will not be interpreted as a dividing pipe and will be displayed as one pipe in the outline.
- To add custom colors and styles to the node text, choose "Colors" => "custom colors and styles" (Shift+Ctrl+F12) from the main menu, and use the dialog box that appears to select the colors and styles. Note: This color becomes the default for the selected node and can be overridden by pressing any of the color function keys (Ctrl+<F1 through F11>).